Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The deadly L word


Recently in my Biology class we had to look up diseases and studies being done based on them. Then, going by the procedures, had to answer questions about the study. I looked up Leukemia because not too long ago somebody, and I won't mention who, that I know showed symptoms of this disease. The person that I knew bruised very easily with long lasting effects, had random nose bleeds, did not have that much of an appetite, and felt weak at no certain point of the day, but at many. Now, obvious to say I was concerned, but since no results had come back in for awhile I had completely forgot about it. But, as Mr. Ludwig explained the directions to us I quickly thought of one word. Leukemia. The study didn't really say a lot about the disease but I got to choose which different study I wanted to learn about and understand how their process works. I learned the protocol of the study, who is eligible and the steps they have to take after they do the procedure. I thought it was interesting to see how their study went. I never really actually looked up one before. I was happy to see there was so many different results for studies when I typed in Leukemia. It gave me a good understanding of how hard people really are working to help people even if the studies last months upon months. I know that they scientists can't just figure something out right away and solve it, but even knowing that it all gave me, well, some kind of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment